Lake Champlain is one of the most renowned fisheries in North America, a favorite of professionals and casual fishermen alike. Our marina & steamship pier are great places for casual casting. If you would like to venture onto the lake, there are boats available for rent at local businesses (see Boating), and plenty of nearby locations to get live bait with a wide selection of the best tackle. A wonderful full or half day activity is to charter a fishing trip with Captain Holly, whose boat “The Sacagawea” has homeport at our marina. Captain Mickey Maynard (photo below) is an option for the serious fisherman. Be ready for great scenery and great fish. Other local guides are also listed below.
Bait & Tackle
- Hero’s Welcome
- The Lake Store at Hero’s Welcome sells tackle & bait.
- Route 2, North Hero Village. Just a three minute walk down the road from The North Hero House www.heroswelcome.com 802-372-4161
- Bill’s Sports Shop
- Bill’s Sports Shop sells tackle, live bait, & fishing rods.
- A 7 minute drive down the road from The North Hero House, behind A&B The Island’s Supermarket. 193 Route 2, Grand Isle Village www.billssportsshopvt.com 802-372-4531
- Holiday Harbor
- Holiday harbor has live a tackle shop with live bait, ice fishing supplies and ice shanty rentals.
- Ice fishing guides are available during the winter months. Ice Fishing Guide Trips available with advanced notice.
- Ice Fishing Shanty Rentals: $50/day (wood supplied for wood stoves in shanty)
- Tip-Up Rental Package: $30/day (includes 8 tip ups, jig stick, hand auger)
- A 5 minute drive up the road from The North Hero House. 8639 Route 2, North Hero: 802-372-4077
Guides & Charters
- Driftwood Tours- See Holly’s Page
- Captain Holly Poulin, USCG licensed, can take up to six passengers on charters for as short as 1 hour up to a full 8 hour day.
- She is a native Vermonter and has spent 20 years on Lake Champlain and knows fantastic fishing spots to help you land the big ones!
- Fishing poles, bait & tackle are provided or you are welcome to bring your own.
- Meet At The North Hero House Marina: Call Holly at 802-373-0022
- Departures starting at 6:00 am 7 days/week from June-October
- Lake Champlain Angler
- Captain Mickey Maynard will pick you up at the North Hero House Marina
- Salmon, Lake Trout, Bass, Walleye and Northern Pike
- www.lakechamplainangler.com , 518-578-9273
- 2015 Rates are $300 for 4 hours, $350 for 6 hours, $400 for 8 hours
- Kingfisher Guide Service
- Underhill, VT: www.kingfisherguideservice.com, 802-899-2170 or 802-734-1180
- An Bradon Fishing Charters
- South Hero, VT: www.anbradoncharters.com, 802-654-9282